Click on the headings below to expand or collapse each section.
Pierce County Refuse provides curbside collection of residential garbage. Service rates are determined by the number of garbage cans, the frequency of pick up and whether or not you recycle.
Our rates include refuse and recycle charges. The Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission require us to separate those charges out on your bill. All customers see recycle charges on their bill whether or not you recycle and those charges cannot be removed. Customers that choose to recycle are billed a lower amount on the refuse portion of their bill.
1. To start, stop, transfer or change service, call 253-537-8687.
2. Customers might supply their own garbage cans depending on where they reside. If you are not sure, please contact our customer service department. When a customer has to supply their own garbage can it should be a 20 gallon container for a mini can or a 32 gallon container for a standard can. Larger cans may be left by the driver or charged an extra fee for each pick up. Cans must have handles and lids. Mini cans can weight no more than 35 pounds, standard cans no more than 65 pounds when full. If we supply the garbage can you have the option of a 65 gallon or a 95 gallon can. Overweight cans may be charged extra, or left, depending upon the weight.
3. Adding recycling to your account reduces the refuse portion of your bill. We supply a 96 gallon commingle recycle tote. Other sizes are available if the 96 gallon tote does not work for you; our drivers will not however take anything outside the recycle tote.
4. Curbside service is picked up within 5 feet of the county road (most mailboxes are on county roads.) If your can is beyond 5 feet from the road, we will not be able to empty it. We offer, for an additional fee, drive in, carry out and gate access for those who wish an alternate location for their cans.
5. Do not put dirt, rocks, sod, hot ashes or hazardous waste in can.
6. We ask that all cans be available for collection no later than 6:00 a.m. to guarantee service. Drivers try to do their routes the same from week to week, however there are occasions when the drivers are required to make adjustments and as a result may arrive earlier or later than you are used to. There is an additional charge to have the driver return.
7. Extra garbage can be put in a 32 gallon bag or can and placed near the garbage can. Excess garbage that does not fit into the garbage can with the lid closed will result in an extra charge.
8. Charges for service continue if service is missed due to conditions beyond the company’s control (weather or road closure). The missed refuse will be picked up on the next regular scheduled day at no additional cost.
Have a question that wasn’t answered above?
Click here to be linked to our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Pierce County Refuse provides curbside commingle recycle pick up. The more you recycle: the less garbage you produce.
Recycling service is included in your garbage rate and is picked up every other week. If you are not a garbage customer, Recycling Service only is available for a monthly fee. To sign up, call customer service at 253-537-8687.
1. Review the list of What Goes in the Recycling Cart?
2. Place your Recycling Cart out by 6:00 AM on your scheduled collection day. Put carts within 5' of the curb with lid opening toward the street.
3. All recycling must fit in the container; items placed outside the container will not be picked up.
Contamination, such as glass, can ruin the whole batch and damage processing equipment. Make sure only recyclable items are put into the Recycling Cart. This will result in less items being disposed of as garbage and more items being manufactured into new products. When the wrong items are put in the recycling cart, a written notice will be placed on our container explaining the contamination.
DuPont, 303 Barksdale, behind City Hall
Eatonville, Mashell & Alder, by the Skate Park
Lakewood, 5000 Steilacoom Blvd SW, Fire Dist #2
LeMay, 4109 192nd St E, Frederickson
Midland, 9512 17th Ave E, Central Pierce Fire & Rescue
Roy, 302 McNaught St, PC Fire Dist #17
South Hill (Puyallup/Graham), 9813 128th St E, Central Pierce Fire & Rescue
Steilacoom, 2301 Worthington, Community Center
Pierce County Refuse provides every other week curbside collection of yard debris.
For current prices or to order yard waste service, please contact customer service at 253-537-8687.
1. We supply a blue 96 gallon container.
2. Place grass, leaves, small branches (under 1 inch in diameter), brush, weeds, shrubs and other compostable organic materials from pruning inside the container.
3. Do Not put rocks, sod, stumps, demolition wood, glass, plastics, flower pots, metal, concrete, sheet rock, asphalt, animal waste or any other non-organic land cleaning debris in the containers. Also, bones, food or large amounts of dirt will not be accepted.
4. Place Cart out by 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Put cart within 5' of the curb with lid opening toward the street. Please do not block driveways, sidewalks or mailboxes.
5. Excess yard debris can be bundled or placed in customer-owned 32-gallon bags or containers. Each extra item will be charged accordingly. Please contact customer service at 253-537-8687 for current rates.
Yard Debris customers can set Christmas trees out on their regularly scheduled collection day. Trees must be free of flocking, tinsel, ornaments and metal hangers and cut to 4' lengths. The entire tree does not have to fit in the yard waste can but the yard waste can does have to be out for the driver to take the tree. There will not be additional charges for trees that do not fit in your container.
Flocked trees are not recyclable and will not be accepted. Put flocked trees in the garbage.